IIT JAM 2018 Application form, Exam Date, Eligibility, Exam Pattern, Syllabus
JAM 2018 (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc) is a gateway to various professional courses such as M.Sc (2 years), M.Sc-PhD, M.Sc-M.Tech, Joint M.Sc-PhD, and many other Bachelor degree courses. IITs & IISc conduct this national level examination of JAM in the rotation bases. JAM is held in the month of February every year. IIT JAM 2018 will be organized by IIT Bombay. The interested applicants can check out the important details of JAM 2018 from this article given below.
JAM 2018 Overview
JAM 2018 Notification
- JAM 2018 Application form now available from 5th September 2017 to 10th October 2017. Click Here to apply for JAM 2018.
- How to Prepare for JAM 2018: Tips and Tricks– Check Here
IIT JAM 2018 Important Dates
|JAM 2018 Online Application Process starts from||5th September 2017|
|Last date for Online Application Submission and uploading documents on website||10th October 2017|
|Last date for payment of Application fee online||10th October 2017|
|Downloading of admit cards||2nd week of January 2018|
|Examination date for JAM 2018||11th February 2018|
|Results declaration||20th March 2018|
|Submission of application form for admission on JAM 2018 website||3rd April to 17th April 2018|
Closing Date for receipt of request for change of Category in proper format/ rectification of defective documents at IIT Bombay
|17th April 2018|
|Declaration of 1st admission list||22nd May 2018|
|Declaration of 2nd admission list||12th June 2018|
|Declaration of final admission list||29th June 2018|
|Closure of Admissions through JAM 2018||5th July 2018|
|Exam Date||Session||Time||Test Papers and Codes|
|11th February 2018 (Sunday)||I||9:00AM to 12:00 Noon||Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG) and Mathematical Statistics (MS)|
|II||2:00 PM to 5:00 PM||Biological Sciences (BL), Mathematics (MA) and Physics (PH)|
JAM 2018 Eligibility Criteria
- Both Indian and Foreign Candidates can apply.
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates belong to the General/OBC-NCL Category, have to get at least 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying degree, without rounding off (50% aggregate for candidates who belong to the SC/ST and PwD Category Candidates).
- Candidates appearing in the final examination of their qualifying degree in 2018 are also eligible for this entrance exam.
- For M.Sc. – Candidate must have Bachelor’s degree (Geology) and any two subjects among Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biological Science Physics. Also, the candidate must have passed 12th with Math as a mandatory subject.
- For M.Sc. in IITB –Candidate must have passed graduation with both Mathematics and Physics for two years and at least one out of these two for three years.
- For M.Sc. Biotechnology in IITB and IITR – Candidates must have done graduation degree in any of these (Science, Agriculture, Pharmacy, Veterinary, Engineering, and Medicine) branches.
- For M.Sc. Chemistry in IITG, IITK, IITB, IITD, IITM, and IITR – Candidate must have done a graduate degree in chemistry and also candidate must have passed 12th with mathematics.
- For M.Sc. Mathematics in IITB, IITD, IITK, and IITM – Candidate must have done graduation with Math as a subject for minimum two years or four semesters.
- For M.Sc. Physics in IITB, IITD, IITG, IITK, IITM and IITR) or Joint M.Sc. /Ph.D. (Physics) in IITK –Candidate must have done graduation with Physics for minimum two years/ four semesters and also must have done graduation with math for at least one year or two semesters.
- For Joint M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Geophysics at IITK – Candidate must have done graduation with any two subjects from Physics, Mathematics and Geology minimum 3 years and 6 semesters.
- For M.Sc or Ph.D. (Dual Degree) in IITB – Candidate must be a graduate in any one of these subjects Physics, Chemistry and Math for minimum two years and four semesters.
- For more details regarding JAM 2018 Eligibility Criteria- Click here
JAM 2018 Application form
- The interested and eligible applicants have to apply only online for JAM 2018 from the official website.
- The applicants are advised to go through eligibility criteria before they start application procedure.
- The applicants should be ready with scanned photograph and signature of the specified format.
- There is no other mode of application except online mode.
- The applicants must have applied on or before the last date of application which is 2nd week of October 2017.
The applicants have to pay an application fee to complete the application procedure either through online mode or offline (E-challan) mode via SBI. In online mode, the application fee can be paid through net banking, debit/credit card. The application fee once paid is non-refundable. The application fee for different categories is as follows-
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|SC/ST/PwD & Female (all categories)||Rs.750/-||Rs.1050/-|
JAM 2018 Exam Pattern
- Examination Type: Objective type test
- Number of questions: 60 divided in three section viz. A, B, C
- Time Duration: 3 hours
- Marking Scheme: 60 questions carrying 100 marks
- Mode: Computer Based Test
- Negative Marking: There will be no negative marking in Section B and Section C.
- Complete details for JAM Exam Pattern- Check Here
|Section-A||30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)|
|Section-B||10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)|
|Section-C||20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT)|
JAM 2018 Exam Centers
The applicants who are going to appear in JAM 2018 can check the list of JAM exam centers. There is a specified list of examination center for 2018 is given below to help the appearing applicants. Details of JAM Exam Centers- Click here
IIT JAM 2018 Syllabus
The syllabus will comprise in various subjects such as Biological Sciences (BL), Biotechnology (BT), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS) Chemistry (CY), Geology (GC), and Physics (PH). Candidates should have the complete knowledge about the officially prescribed syllabus. The Syllabus for the seven Papers specified as follows: Check details for JAM Syllabus- Click here
Biological Sciences (BL):
- General Biology
- Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology
- Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology
- Mathematical Sciences
The syllabus will be of the 10+2+3 level. The Biotechnology test paper comprises of
- Biology (44% weightage),
- Chemistry (20% weightage),
- Mathematics (18% weightage)
- Physics (18% weightage).
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- The Planet Earth
- Structural Geology
- Economic Geology
- Applied Geology
- Sequences and Series of Real Numbers
- Functions of Two Real Variables
- Differential Equations
- Vector Calculus
- Group Theory
- Linear Algebra
- Real Analysis
Mathematical Statistics (MS):
The Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics (40% weightage) and Statistics (60% weightage).
- Sequences and Series
- Differential Calculus
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Random Variables
- Standard Distributions
- Joint Distributions
- Sampling distributions
- Testing of Hypotheses
- Mathematical Methods
- Mechanics and General Properties of Matter
- Oscillations, Waves and Optics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics
- Modern Physics
- Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics
- Simple Oscillators
IIT JAM 2018 Admission Process
Once the results for JAM 2018 will be declared, the qualified applicants can apply for online admission form in the official portal. Through the admission form, the applicants will be eligible for admission to any of the corresponding academic course of IISc & IITs. On the basis of qualified test papers, the applicants can apply for one or more academic courses which covered under those set of papers, subject to fulfillment of the minimum education qualification (MEQs), Eligibility Criteria (ERs) of the admitting institutes.
JAM 2018 Test Cities
|IISc Bangalore||Bengaluru, Hubli, Kannur, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Hyderabad, Palakkad, Trissur|
|IIT Bombay||Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Nanded, Nasik, Nagpur, Pune, Vadodara, Goa,|
|IIT Delhi||Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Gurugram, Greater Noida, HisarJaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, New Delhi, Indore,|
|IIT Guwahati||Asansol-Durgapur, Guwahati, Jorhat, Kalyani, Patna, Dibrugarh, Siliguri, Dhanbad,|
|IIT Kanpur||Agra, Bhopal, Bareilly, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi, Allahabad,|
|IIT Kharagpur||Bhubaneswar, Kolkata, Ranchi, Vijaywada, Visakhapatnam, Kharagpur, Raipur|
|IIT Madras||Chennai,Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Kollam, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Warangal, Tiruchirapalli, Kottayam, Thiruvananthapuram,|
|IIT Roorkee||Dehradun, Roorkee, Kurukshetra, NOIDA, Mohali, Moradabad, Jalandhar,|
JAM Admit Card 2018
The admit cards are available online from December 2017. The candidates appearing for the examination can download the admit cards for JAM 2018 after the availability of the official notice. JAM admit cards will only be available online. The candidates can log on to the JOAPs (JAM Online Application Portals) to download the admit cards- Check Here
JAM 2018 Counselling
IIT JAM counselling will be organized after the result announcement of IIT JAM examination. A candidate who falls in the category of merit list will be only applicable to participate in the counseling session of IIT JAM 2018. The counseling session will go to be conducted within the second or third week of April 2018. Check JAM 2018 couselling detials- Click here