GATE 2019 Application Form, Dates, Eligibility, Pattern, Syllabus
GATE is a national level entrance exam for admission to PG courses in the field of engineering and technology. It stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. Through GATE score candidates can get admissions into M. Tech. / PhD programmes in IITs, IISc, IISERs and other reputed institutions. Every year, GATE is organized on the rotational basis by the seven zonal IITs and an IISc. Apart from granting admission, the score of gate exam is also considered as one of the criteria for recruitment to government and private organizations working in technical fields. This year GATE is organized by IIT Madras and Application starts from 1st September 2018.
|Manipal University: Admission 2019 – Apply Here|
|Amrita University: BTech Admission 2019 – Apply Here|
|SRM University: BTech Admission 2019 – Apply Here|
GATE 2019 Notification
- GATE 2019 Notification has released. The Application Process will be started from 1st September 2018. Click Here to Register for GATE 2019.
- Some good books to prepare for GATE 2019– Check Here
GATE 2019 Overview
|EXAM||GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)|
|Organizing Institute||IIT Madras|
|MODE OF GATE 2019||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|NUMBER OF QUESTIONS||65|
|NUMBER OF PAPERS||23|
|TYPE OF QUESTIONS||MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) NAT (Numerical Answer Type)|
|EXAM DURATION||3 Hours|
|MARKING CRITERIA||1/3 marks deducted for 1 mark question and 2/3 marks deducted for every 2 mark question|
|MINIMUM PERCENTILE||2nd, 3rd, 9th and 10th February 2019|
GATE 2019 Important Dates
|Commencement of Online Application Form||1st September 2018|
|Last Date of Application Form Submission||21st September 2018|
|Last Date of Application with late fee||1st October 2018|
|Last Date to request for the change in exam city||16th November 2018|
|Mock Test Release||3rd week of November 2018|
|Availability of Admit Card||4th January 2019|
|GATE 2019 Exam Date||2nd, 3rd, 9th and 10th February 2019|
|Declaration of result||16th March 2019|
|Downloading of Score Card Begins||20th March 31st May 2019|
|Counselling Commence||Second week of April 2019|
GATE 2019 Eligibility Criteria
|Qualification Required||Description of the Qualifying Degree||Status of the Degree||Year of Passing|
|B.Arch||5-years bachelor’s degree in Architecture||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2019|
|B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Pharm||4-years B.Tech (after 10+2) in any stream or 3-years B.Tech lateral entry (after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology). Final year candidates may also apply.||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2019|
|B.Sc. Research/ B.S.||4-years Bachelor’s degree in Science (post-diploma or after 10+2)||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2019|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||5-years Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology||Currently in the 4th/5th year or completed||2019|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech|
|4-years Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology||Presently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed||2021|
|Int. M.Sc/ Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated|
B. S./M. S. program
|Pursuing final year examination or completed||2019|
|M. Sc./ M.A./ MCA or|
|Master’s degree in Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in final year or completed||2019|
|Professional Society Examination equivalent to B.Tech/ B.E./ B.Arch||B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional|
GATE 2019 Application Form
GATE registration 2019 will be started on the 1st week of September 2018. All the candidates have to apply online only. The registration will end in the first week of October 2018. The authority will provide a period of approx one month for the application process. Aspirants have to fill GATE 2019 application form through the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Application Procedure for international candidates is the same as Indians. International candidates must possess a valid passport to apply.
- Candidates can pay the application fee via Net banking, debit card or e-challan.
|SC/ST/PWD Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|Women Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|All Other Candidates||Rs. 1500/-|
|GATE International Candidates||US Dollars 50|
GATE 2019 Exam Pattern
- GATE 2019 is held for total of 23 papers.
- The examination duration will be 3 hours.
- The examination mode will be online only (CBT).
- Total 65 questions of maximum 100 marks will be asked in GATE 2019.
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) & Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) will appear in GATE examination.
- For MCQ, 4 choices will be provided while there will be no options provided for NAT.
- Students are required to enter the real number in Numerical Answer Type Questions with the help of a virtual keypad.
- MCQ and NAT questions will carry 1 or 2 marks in all papers.
- There will be a negative marking of 1/3 marks for the questions carrying 1 mark.
- Likewise, for questions carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks will be deducted. No negative marking for Numerical Answer Type questions.
|Section||QuestionNo.||No. of questions||Marks per question||TotalMarks|
|General Aptitude||1 to 5||5||1||5|
|1 to 25||25||1||25|
|26 to 55||30||2||60|
|Total Questions: 65||Total Marks: 100||Total Duration: 3 hours|
|Technical Section:70 marks||General Aptitude: 15 marks||Engineering Mathematics:15 marks|
|25 marks to 40 marks will be allotted to Numeric Answer Type Questions|
GATE 2019 Admit Card
- Admit card can be downloadable from the GOAPS website.
- It will not be sent via email/post.
- The successfully registered candidates will be able to download the GATE 2019 admit card on 4th January 2019.
- Students also need to bring one identification proof with the printed copy of admit card, to the examination hall.
GATE 2019 Answer Key
- It is expected that the exam will end in the second week of February 2019.
- The answer key will be released by the authority after the completion of the exam.
- The authority will provide the answer key separately for each discipline.
- Answer key challenge facility will also open on payment of a nominal fee.
GATE 2019 Result
- GATE 2019 result will be published on the GOAPS portal of the GATE website.
- The result is likely to be announced on 17th March 2019.
- After the declaration of result, GATE Scorecards will be available for the candidates who secure marks equal to or more than the cut-off marks.
GATE 2019 Score Card
- The qualified candidates are provided with a GATE scorecard which has the validity of three years from the date of announcement of result.
- GATE 2019 scorecard reflects the candidate’s performance in entrance test.
- The facility to download the scorecard will be available from the last week of March 2019.
GATE 2019 Cut Off
- GATE Cut off marks will decide the candidate’s eligibility for admission to IITs and IISc.
- It is the factor which decides whether a candidate is qualified for the exam or not.
- GATE 2019 cut off marks varies stream-wise and category-wise.
- The cut-off marks for reserved category candidates are primarily low than the unreserved category candidates.
GATE 2019 Counselling
- For providing admission to PG courses, no common counseling will be conducted by IITs.
- Students have to apply individually to the IITs when the admission notification will be released.
- NIT organizes the Centralized Counselling for M. Tech. / M. Arch. / M. Plan. Admissions (CCMT).
- Counselling is purely based on GATE 2019 scores.
- It is the common counseling conducted by NITs every year.
GATE 2019 Syllabus
- It is known that GATE is held for 23 papers.
- Syllabus for each discipline is different.
- For an effective preparation, it is important to know each and every topic from where the questions will be asked.
- It is hard to describe the complete syllabus of GATE in few lines.
- However, the students can download the official PDF of GATE 2019 syllabus for PE, PH, PI, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, EY, AE, AG, AR, BT, XE, GG, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, TF, and XL.
Important books to Prepare for GATE 2019
- Engineering Electromagnetics by William H. Hayt Jr., John A. Buck
- Electromagnetic Waves by R K Shevgaonkar
- Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Charles K. Alexander, Matthew N. O. Sadiku
- Engineering Circuit Analysis by William H. Hayt and Jack E. Kemmerly
Signals and Systems
- Signals and Systems by Alan V. Oppenheim
- Signals and Systems by Tarun Kumar Rawat
- Digital Systems: Principles and Applications by Tocci
- Digital Logic & Computer Design by M.Morris Mano
- Microelectronic Circuits by Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth Carless Smith
- Integrated Electronics by Millman and Halkias
- Control Systems Engineering by I.J. Nagrath
- AUTOMATIC CONTROL SYSTEMS by B.C. Kuo
- A Course in Electrical and Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation by A. K. Sawhney, Puneet Sawhney
- Electronic instrumentation and measurement techniques by William David Cooper
- Electrical Machinery by P. S. Bimbhra
- A Textbook of Electrical Technology by B.L. Theraja
- Electrical Power Systems by C. L. Wadhwa
- Principles of Power System by V. K. Mehta, Rohit Mehta
- Communication systems by Simon S. Haykin
- Principles Of Communication Systems by Taub
- Power Electronics by P. S. Bimbhra
- Power Electronics: Circuits, Devices, and Applications by Rashid
- Semiconductor Physics And Devices by Neamen
- Integrated Electronics Solid State Electronic Devices by Ben G. Streetman, Sanjay Banerjee
- Fiber Optics and Optoelectronics by R. P. Khare
- Optical Fiber Communications by Gerd Keiser
- Measurement systems: application design by Doebeli
- Principles of measurement systems book by John Bentley
- Process Control Instrumentation Technology by Curtis D. Johnson
Strength of Materials
- Mechanics of Material by Beer and Johnston
- Strength of Materials by Sadhu Singh
- Mechanics for Engineers (Statics and Dynamics) by Beer and Johnston
Design of machine elements
- A Test Book of Machine Design by R.S.Khurmi and J.K.Gupta
- Design of Machine Elements by V.B.Bhandari
- Vibrations by S S Rao
- Vibrations by M.P.Grover
Theory of Machines
- Theory of Machines by S.Ratan
- Theory of Mechanisms and Machines by Amitabha Ghosh and Asok Kumar Mallik
- Fluid Mechanics by K. L.Kumar
- Fluid Mechanics by R.K.Bansal
- Engineering heat and mass transfer by R.C. Sachdeva
- Heat transfer by R Yadav
- Engineering Thermodynamics by P.K.Nag
- Thermodynamics by R.K.Rajput
- Manufacturing Technology by P.N.Rao
- Manufacturing Science by Ghosh and Mallik
- Database concepts by Korth & Sudarshan
- Database management systems by Raghurama Krishnan
- Industrial Engineering and Management – O P Khanna
- Operation Research: Quantitative Techniques for Management – V K Kapoor
- Discrete mathematics and its applications by Kenneth Rosen
- Discrete mathematical structures by Tremblay & Manohar
- Data Structures Using C and C++, by Langsam, Augenstein, Tenenbaum
- Classic Data structures by Debasis Samanta
- Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen
- The Design and analysis of Computer Algorithm by Aho, Ullman
- Data Structures Using C and C++, by Langsam, Augenstein, Tenenbaum
- Let us C by Yashwant Kanetkar
- Compilers, Principles, Techniques and Tools by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, Jeffery D. Ullman
- Computer Networks by Andrew S. Tanenbaum
- Data Communication and Networking by Behrouz A. Forouzan
Theory of Computation
- Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation by John E. Hopcroft, Jeffery D. Ullman
- An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata by Peter Linz
- Operating System Concepts by Silberschatz, A., Galvin, P.B., Gagne, G
- Operating System by William Stallings