IIT JAM 2023 (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc) Application process will be started from the 1st week of September 2022. It a gateway to various professional courses such as M.Sc (2 years), M.Sc-PhD, M.Sc-M.Tech, Joint M.Sc-PhD, and many other Bachelor degree courses offered by IITs and IISc. It is organized on a national level by the IITs and IISc on the rotation basis. JAM is held in the month of February every year. The interested applicants can check out the important details of JAM 2023 from this article given below.
IIT JAM 2023 Overview
- EXAM NAME: IIT JAM 2023 (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc)
- JAM Organizing Institute: To be updated soon.
- EXAM TYPE: National Level Entrance Exam for Postgraduate Programs in Science
- PROGRAMS OFFERED: M.Sc, Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D, M.Sc.-Ph.D Dual Degree, M.Sc.-M.Tech Other PG Degree Programs at IITs, and IISc
- MODE OF EXAM: Online (Computer Based Test)
- NUMBER OF QUESTIONS: 60
- SECTION: Section-A: 30 MCQ, Section-B: 10 MSQ, Section-C: 20 NAT
- TOTAL MARKS: 100
- TYPE OF QUESTIONS: MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions), MSQ (Multiple Select Questions), NAT (Numerical Answer Type)
- EXAM DURATION: 3 Hours
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Minimum 55% in Bachelor’s Degree
- EXAM DATE: To be updated soon
IIT JAM 2023 Updates- Dates Released
JAM Online application process will be started from the 1st week of September 2022.
IIT JAM 2023 Important Dates
|Availability of the Application form||1st week of September 2022|
|Deadline to submit the online application & uploading documents||1st week of October 2022|
|Application correction||October- November 2022|
|Availability of the Admit card||1st week of January 2023|
|Mock test link||January 2023|
|Exam Date||2nd week of February 2023|
|Result Declaration||3rd week of March 2023|
|Score Card||last week of March 2023|
|Submission of admission form||2nd week of April 2023|
|Last Date for receipt of the request for change of category||1st week of May 2023|
|First admission list released||2nd week of June 2023|
|Second admission list released||1st week of July 2023|
|Third & final admission list release||2nd week of July 2023|
|Closure of Admissions through JAM 2022||3rd week of July 2023|
- Both Indian and Foreign Candidates can apply.
- Candidates belonging to the General/OBC-NCL Category, have to get at least 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying degree, without rounding off (50% aggregate for candidates who belong to the SC/ST and PwD Category Candidates).
- Candidates appearing in the final examination of their qualifying degree are also eligible for this entrance exam.
- For M.Sc. – Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree (Geology) and any two subjects among Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biological Science Physics. Also, the candidate must have passed 12th with Math as a mandatory subject.
- For M.Sc. in IITB –Candidate must have passed graduation with both Mathematics and Physics for two years and at least one out of these two for three years.
- For M.Sc. Biotechnology in IITB and IITR – Candidates must have done graduation degree in any of these (Science, Agriculture, Pharmacy, Veterinary, Engineering, and Medicine) branches.
- For M.Sc. Chemistry in IITG, IITK, IITB, IITD, IITM, and IITR – Candidate must have done a graduate degree in chemistry and also candidate must have passed 12th with mathematics.
- For M.Sc. Mathematics in IITB, IITD, IITK, and IITM – Candidate must have done graduation with Math as a subject for a minimum of two years or four semesters.
- For M.Sc. Physics in IITB, IITD, IITG, IITK, IITM, and IITR) or Joint M.Sc. /Ph.D. (Physics) in IITK –Candidate must have done graduation with Physics for a minimum of two years/ four semesters and also must have done graduation with math for at least one year or two semesters.
- For Joint M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Geophysics at IITK – Candidate must have done graduation with any two subjects from Physics, Mathematics and Geology minimum 3 years and 6 semesters.
- For M.Sc or Ph.D. (Dual Degree) in IITB – Candidate must be a graduate in any one of these subjects Physics, Chemistry and Maths for a minimum of two years and four semesters.
IIT JAM 2023 Application Form
IIT JAM application form is filled and submitted through online mode. Candidates have to register first by entering their name, valid Email ID, Mobile Number and Password on the website. After successful registration, candidates will receive an email containing their login credentials i.e. the enrollment ID. After login through the generated id, candidates have to fill their personal, qualification & academic other details in the application form. Upload the scanned images (photograph, signature) and SC/ST/PwD certificates (if applicable). The fee can be reemitted through online mode only. Review your form before the final submission. Take a printout of the application form for future references.
IIT JAM Application fee
- The application fee can be paid through online mode
- The fee payment can be remitted through DR/CR card/Net Banking.
- Application fee chart is given below:
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|Female (All Categories), SC, ST, PwD||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1050/-|
|General & OBC||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2100/-|
- The paper pattern will be different as per the courses opted by the students.
- The Exam Mode will be Online i.e. computer-based mode
- A total of seven papers will be organized for the JAM exam.
- The duration of the exam will be Three hours
- The exam will be in English only
- A total of 60 questions will be asked in the examination.
- The question paper will be of 100 marks.
- There will be negative marking only in Section A.
|Sections||No. of Questions||Type of Question||Marks|
|Section A||30||Multiple Choice Questions||50|
|Section B||10||Multiple Select Questions||20|
|Section C||20||Numerical Answer Type||30|
IIT JAM 2023 Admission Process
Once the results for JAM 2023 will be declared, the qualified applicants can apply online for admission through the official portal. The applicants will be eligible for admission to any of the corresponding academic course of IISc & IITs. On the basis of qualified test papers, the applicants can apply for one or more academic courses which covered under those set of papers, subject to fulfillment of the minimum education qualification (MEQs), Eligibility Criteria (ERs) of the admitting institutes.
- The syllabus is divided into three sections, i.e. Section A, B & C.
- The syllabus will comprise of various topics such as BT (Biotechnology), BL (Biological Sciences), GC (Geology), MS (mathematical statistics), MA (Mathematics) CY (Chemistry) and PH (Physics).
Biological Sciences (BL):
- General Biology
- Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology
- Microbiology, Cell Biology, and Immunology
- Mathematical Sciences
The syllabus will be of the 10+2+3 level. The Biotechnology test paper comprises of
- Biology (44% weightage),
- Chemistry (20% weightage),
- Mathematics (18% weightage)
- Physics (18% weightage).
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- The Planet Earth
- Structural Geology
- Economic Geology
- Applied Geology
- Sequences and Series of Real Numbers
- Functions of Two Real Variables
- Differential Equations
- Vector Calculus
- Group Theory
- Linear Algebra
- Real Analysis
Mathematical Statistics (MS):
The Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics (40% weightage) and Statistics (60% weightage).
- Sequences and Series
- Differential Calculus
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Random Variables
- Standard Distributions
- Joint Distributions
- Sampling distributions
- Testing of Hypotheses
- Mathematical Methods
- Mechanics and General Properties of Matter
- Oscillations, Waves, and Optics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics
- Modern Physics
- Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics
- Simple Oscillators
JAM 2023 Admit card
IIT JAM 2023 Admit Card will be available via online mode through the official website. Admit card contains details like Candidate’s Name, Photograph, Signature, Registration Number, Code of Test Pater, Exam Center, etc. It is to be noted that the Admit card will not be sent by post or Email. Don’t forget to bring original & valid photo identification on the examination date. Candidates are not permitted to appear for the exam without a valid admit card.
JAM 2023 Result
The IIT JAM Result 2023 will be released in the last week of March 2023. The result will be published via online mode through the website. Students can check the result by entering the necessary details in order to check the result. Separate AIR (All India Rank) rank list will be prepared. The merit list will be prepared as per the marks scored by the candidate in the examination.
IIT JAM 2023 Counselling
IIT JAM Counselling will be done after the release of the examination release. Merit list includes all the shortlisted candidates who are eligible to apply for admission. Candidates have to apply for admission by filling the application form through the website. In the application form candidates have to fill their preferred preferences, marks obtained education details, etc. Seats will be allotted to students as per the preferences filled, availability of seats, and rank. After seat allotment, candidates have to visit the allotted college for admission procedure.
- Applicants can fill the application form through online mode.
- Candidates can use Only one Email ID for one application form.
- The application form will be available from the 1st week of September 2023
- The application fee is different for different categories which are mentioned above.
- Fee payment can be done through online mode, i.e. DR/CR Card/Net Banking.
- There is no need to send the printed application to the authority.
- No, a virtual calculator will be available on the computer screen for calculations.
- IIT JAM will be conducted for 3hrs
- NRI, foreign candidates can apply for IIT JAM 2023 Exam.
- IIT JAM 2023 is scheduled to be held in 2nd week of February 2023.
- The syllabus will be based on these topics: BT (Biotechnology), BL (Biological Sciences), GC (Geology), MS (mathematical statistics), MA (Mathematics) CY (Chemistry) and PH (Physics).
- No negative making will be there in Section B & C.
- Only objective types of questions will be asked comprises of 60 questions.