PhD degree will be mandatory for teaching positions in Universities from July 2021
Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said that the PhD degree has been made mandatory for direct recruitment to the post of assistant professors in universities from 2021. Master’s degree with National Eligibility Test (NET) or PhD would continue to be the minimum eligibility criteria for direct recruitment in colleges, a senior official said. The changes have been made to improve the quality of higher education and to attract and retain the best talent in the country. The API for college teachers has been removed maintaining the incentives of earlier regulations. For promotion to assistant professor (Selection grade) in colleges from 2021, the PhD degree has been made mandatory.
- The official notice from MHRD can be Checked from Here
- Indian students who got their PhD degree from top 500 universities abroad will also be eligible for appointment in universities.
- The provision for promotion in colleges will be up to professor level for the first time.
- There will be a one-month compulsory induction program for newly recruited teachers in universities and colleges.
- API based PBAS System has been removed.
- Up to 10% of the existing sanctioned strength of Professors in Universities shall be appointed as Senior Professors in the Universities.
1 thought on “PhD degree will be mandatory for teaching positions”
Sir, If PhD is mandatory for direct recruitment to the post of assistant professors in universities from 2021, then what is the necessity for CSIR NET. Kindly explain.