B.Sc Horticulture is a 3 to 4 years duration undergraduate degree course that can be opted after the 12th. This course basically deals with the science of breeding (both Hybrid and Conventional) cereals, orchids, fruits, vegetables, and other plants. Other subjects are also included in this program for instance pest control, farming management, marketing, product marketing, and many other related topics in detail.
To opt for this course, candidates need to complete 10+2 in the science stream with Biology as a mandatory subject. The minimum percentage differs from university to university or college to college, but maximum colleges/ universities accept score up to 50% aggregate marks. Consequently, eligible candidates should obtain at least 50% marks in 12th board examination. Admission to this course is offered either through entrance or merit. Some of the universities offer admission at the state level or university level entrance exams. No national-level entrance test is organized for admission to this course. Candidates should gain good marks in 12th for admission to the B.Sc Horticulture course.
B.Sc Horticulture Overview
|Course name||Bachelor of Science in Horticulture Science|
|Level of study||Undergraduate|
|Duration of course||3 to 4 years|
|Eligibility||12th in science background with PCMB/ PCB|
|Admission process||Both merit and entrance based|
|Type of examination||Semester|
|Average annual fee||INR 15,000 to 50,00|
|Average salary||INR 3,00,000 to 4,00,000|
|Job scope||Agricultural Researchers, Gardeners, Marketing Managers, Plant Breeders, etc.|
|Employment areas||Orchids, Agriculture Research Laboratories, Agrochemicals, etc.|
B.Sc Horticulture Admission Procedure
There are some universities that provide admission to B.Sc Horticulture course on the basis of merit; however some conducts an entrance examination method to enroll candidates in the course. Let’s check out both methods:
The basic steps that include in merit-based admission are given below:
- The applying students need to fill the application form to apply to the university through the official website of the respective university. The application forms for this are generally released in the month of April – May every year.
- Once the application process is closed, the university or the admission managing department prepares a merit list of shortlisted candidates on the basis of marks obtained in the class 12 board exam.
- Another step includes the counseling and document verification process where shortlisted candidates are invited for Counselling and document verification. The candidates will have to produce relevant documents to prove their eligibility.
- And lastly, candidates found eligible will be granted admission to the respective program.
Entrance Based Admission
There are some top universities like IGKV (Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya), GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, etc. that grants admission to the BSc Horticulture program only on the basis of entrance exam scores. The admission procedure for the same can be found below:
- Candidates need to apply online for the entrance examination through the web portal of the respective university/ institute.
- The admission managing authority can organize the exam either online or offline mode, though most of the exams are conducted online. Those candidates who applied online for the entrance exam will be issued hall ticket/ admit card 10-20 days prior to the exam.
- After the commencement of the entrance exam, results and cut-offs are prepared and released. Along with the results of the exam, a cutoff list is also published that needs to be qualified by the candidates to get shortlisted for the next round.
- Another round consists of document verification in which the qualified candidates will have to present their mark sheets and other documents to prove their eligibility.
- Lastly, eligible candidates will be enrolled in the course.
- Mark sheet and Pass Certificate of Class XII
- Class X Admit Card and Mark sheet
- Birth Certificate
- Migration Certificate
- Original Photo ID
- Passport Size Photographs
B.Sc Horticulture Syllabus Semester- Wise
- Elementary Statistics and Mathematics
- Fundamentals of Soil Science
- Fundamentals of Economics and Marketing
- Plant Propagation and Nursery Management
- Introductory Crop Physiology
- Fundamentals of Horticulture
- Principles of Landscape Architecture
- Principles of Genetics and Cytogenetics
- Communication Skills and Personality Development
- Human Values and Ethics
- Tropical and Subtropical Vegetables
- Fundamentals of Plant Breeding
- Soil Fertility and Nutrient Management
- Fundamentals of Entomology
- Fundamentals of Extension Education
- Orchard and Estate Management
- Fundamentals of Plant Biochemistry
- Growth and Development of Horticultural Crops
- Introductory Microbiology
- Dryland Horticulture
- Fundamentals of Plant Pathology
- Spices and Condiments
- Organic Farming
- Nematode Pests of Horticultural Crops and their Management
- Principles of Plant Biotechnology
- Temperate Fruit Crops
- Commercial Floriculture
- Environmental Studies and Disaster Management
- Agri- Informatics and Computer Application
- Soil, Water, and Plant Analysis
- Weed Management of Horticultural Crops
- Tropical and Subtropical Fruits
- Ornamental Horticulture
- Plantation Crops
- Farm Machinery and Power
- Diseases of Fruit, Plantation, Medicinal and Aromatic Crops
- Insect Pests of Fruit, Plantation, Medicinal & Aromatic Crops
- Introductory Agro-meteorology & Climate Change
- Temperate Vegetable Crops
- Introduction to Major Field Crops
- Medicinal and Aromatic crops
- Seed Production of Vegetable, Tuber, and Spice Crops
- Breeding of Vegetable, Tuber, and Spice Crops
- Diseases of Vegetables, Ornamentals, and Spice Crops
- Postharvest Management of Horticultural Crops
- Entrepreneurship Development and Business Management
- Processing of Horticultural Crops
- Insect Pests of Vegetable, Ornamental, and Spice Crops
- Apiculture, Sericulture and Lac culture
- Precision Farming and Protected Cultivation
- Introductory Agroforestry
- Breeding and Seed Production of Flower and Ornamental Plants
- Water Management in Horticultural Crops
- Horti-Business Management
- Potato and Tuber Crops
- Breeding of Fruit and Plantation Crops
- Student Project
- Student Project
B.Sc Horticulture Entrance Exams
Some most popular entrance exams that are conducted for the B.Sc Horticulture course are:
- HORTICET is organized by YSR Horticultural University.
- CGPAT was conducted by Chhattisgarh Professional Examination Board.
- UPCATET was conducted by CSAUAT Kanpur.
B.Sc Horticulture Top Colleges
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
- Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya
- Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya
- Shivaji University
- Bihar Agricultural University
- Horticultural College and Research Institute
- Narendra Deva University of Agriculture and Technology
- University of Horticultural Science
- University of Agricultural and Horticultural Science