GATE 2021: GATE is a national level entrance exam for admission to PG courses in the field of engineering and technology. It stands for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. Through GATE score candidates can get admissions into M. Tech. /Ph.D. programs in IITs, IISc, IISERs, and other reputed institutions. Every year, GATE is organized on the rotational basis by the seven zonal IITs and an IISc. Apart from granting admission, the score of the gate exam is also considered as one of the criteria for recruitment to government and private organizations working in technical fields. The GATE Application process will be started from the 1st week of September.
GATE 2021 Important Dates
|Commencement of Online Application Form||1st week of September 2020|
|Last Date of Application Form Submission||4th week of September 2020|
|Last Date of Application with late fee||1st week of October 2020|
|Last Date to request for the change in exam city||2nd week of November 2020|
|Mock Test Release||3rd week of November 2020|
|Availability of Admit Card||1st week of January 2021|
|Exam Date||1st week of February 2021|
|Declaration of result||2nd week of March 2021|
|Downloading of Score Card Begins||3rd week of May 2021|
|Counselling Commence||2nd week of April 2021|
|Qualification Required||Description of the Qualifying Degree||Status of the Degree||Year of Passing|
|B.Arch||5-years bachelor’s degree in Architecture||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2021|
|B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Pharm||4-years B.Tech (after 10+2) in any stream or 3-years B.Tech lateral entry (after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology). Final year candidates may also apply.||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2021|
|B.Sc. Research/ B.S.||4-years Bachelor’s degree in Science (post-diploma or after 10+2)||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2021|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||5-years Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology||Currently in the 4th/5th year or completed||2021|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech(Post-B.Sc.)||4-years Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology||Presently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed||2023|
|Int. M.Sc/ Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five years integrated B.S./M.S. program||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2021|
|M. Sc./ M.A./ MCA or Equivalent||Master’s degree in Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or completed||2021|
|Professional Society Examination equivalent to B.Tech/ B.E./ B.Arch||B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|
GATE 2021 Application Form
GATE Registration will be started on the 1st week of September 2020. All the candidates have to apply online only. The registration will end in the first week of October 2020. The authority will provide a period of approx one month for the application process. Aspirants have to fill GATE 2021 application form through the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Application Procedure for international candidates is the same as Indians. International candidates must possess a valid passport to apply.
- Candidates can pay the application fee via Net banking, debit card or e-challan.
|SC/ST/PWD Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|Women Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|All Other Candidates||Rs. 1500/-|
|GATE International Candidates||US Dollars 50|
- The examination duration will be 3 hours.
- The examination mode will be online only (CBT).
- Total 65 questions of maximum 100 marks will be asked in GATE 2019.
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) & Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) will appear in GATE examination.
- For MCQ, 4 choices will be provided while there will be no options provided for NAT.
- Students are required to enter the real number in Numerical Answer Type Questions with the help of a virtual keypad.
- MCQ and NAT questions will carry 1 or 2 marks in all papers.
- There will be a negative marking of 1/3 marks for the questions carrying 1 mark.
- Likewise, for questions carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks will be deducted. No negative marking for Numerical Answer Type questions.
|Section||Question No.||No. of questions||Marks per question||TotalMarks|
|General Aptitude||1 to 5||5||1||5|
|1 to 25||25||1||25|
|26 to 55||30||2||60|
|Total Questions: 65||Maximum Marks: 100||Duration: 3 hours|
|Technical Section: 70 marks||General Aptitude: 15 marks||Engineering Mathematics:15 marks|
|25 marks to 40 marks will be allotted to Numeric Answer Type Questions|
Use of GATE Score
To shortlist the candidates for employment, several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) use GATE scores such as:
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
- Power Grid Corporation of India.
- Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
Direct recruitment to Group ‘A’ level posts in Central government such as:
- Senior Research Officer (Crypto)
- and Senior Field Officer (Tele)
- Senior Research Officer (S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat
GATE 2021 Cut Off
The cut off marks will be declared differently by each participating institute and it will also be distinct for different courses. Various public and private sector undertakings that consider GATE scores for employment purposes will also declare their own cut off marks. The cut off marks will be published on the official website.
GATE 2021 Counseling Procedure
Indian institution of Technologies (IITs) will not engage in the activity of organizing a common GATE Counselling for granting admission to various PG courses. After the declaration of the official GATE result, candidates have to register separately to various IITs. All the NITs will organize the Centralized Counselling for PG engineering programs such as M.Arch. / M.Tech. /M.Plan.
- The procedure of counseling will be scheduled by CCMT (Centralized Counseling for M.Tech/ M.Arch/ M.Plan).
- The counseling will start once the results for GATE will be declared.
- The allotment of seats will be done on the basis of applicants’ performance in the written examination.